Up-to-date list of ORHS railroad equipment.
#471 - EMD GP7u
Our three EMD F-units had reached the end of their useful lives and would need a complete "from the ground up" rebuilding as well as the addition of another A unit so they could operate in both directions. The estimated cost by an outside rebuilder would be approximately $250,000 - $300,000. ORHS opted to sell the F-Units to Ohio Central Rail Systems (now Genesee & Wyoming).
On April 28, 2000, engine 471 was acquired by ORHS in a three-way deal between Helms Financial Corp., Ohio Central Rail Systems and ORHS. After months of negotiations, the locomotive was sold to ORHS at a price of $112,000, considerably below its initial asking price of $150,000. The 471 was repainted and put into full compliance with Federal Railroad Administration rules at Ohio Central's Morgan Run Shops at Coshocton, Ohio and delivered to Orrville on May 5, 2000.
The 471 was built by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors in 1950 as a 1,500 HP, GP7 model and delivered to the Maine Central Railroad (MEC) as their number 571. It was equipped with a steam generator to heat passenger cars and was used in both freight and passenger service. In December of 1985, MEC rebuilt the engine at their Waterville, Maine shops with an upgraded "crew cab" and dynamic brakes. The high forward hood was also lowered for better visibility from the cab and the number was changed to 471.
It was later repainted in Guilford Transportation colors after the MEC, Boston & Maine, and Delaware & Hudson were merged.
In May of 1990, the Connecticut Department of Transportation purchased the locomotive from Guilford and began operating it on the Shoreline commuter line out of New Haven with the locomotive repainted into the former New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad "McGinnis" paint scheme.
The locomotive was totally rebuilt and upgraded again by Amtrak in 1994 with a more powerful 2,000 HP 645E engine replacing the original 567B, updated electrical systems, improved controls, cab signals and various mechanical upgrades.
LRE - Little Red Engine
Not a lot of this unit’s history is known at this time though research is ongoing. We believe it was built in the 1930’s by the Fate-Root-Heath Company in their Plymouth, Ohio locomotive factory as an 8-ton, model DLB2. DL is the locomotive model designation, the “B” is for a Buda gasoline engine and the “2” is for a low profile “quarry” cab. Its original purchaser is currently unknown and its history from the date of manufacture until the 1970’s is still a mystery. Rumor has it that it spent some time in Cleveland at a barrel factory and at Collinwood, Ohio at a passenger railcar facility in the 1970’s through the 1980’s.
It was purchased by Lake Erie Rail Car in New London, Ohio in the late 1980’s or early 1990’s and used as a shop switcher. The Wheeling & Lake Erie Railroad acquired LERC’s assets in the 1990’s and sold the unit to the late Robert Bixler, a founding member of ORHS. Mrs. Bixler sold the locomotive to Eastwood Manufacturing in Orrville who completely refurbished the locomotive. Eastwood agreed to sell the locomotive to ORHS.
Sometime during its long life, it received a Detroit 371 diesel engine with 113 horsepower, a torque converter, air brakes, a new taller cab, new radiator mount and various other improvements. It retains its original 4-speed mechanical friction drive transmission with chains driving the axles.
#805 - ALCO RSD1
This 1,000 HP locomotive was built in February, 1943 for the United States Army Transportation Corp. as #8050, specification number E1645 for use in Iran during World War II on light rail and in areas where water for steam locomotives was difficult to source. Its primary use was on the Trans-Iranian Railway running supplies to the Russian army. Its serial number is 70671. It is essentially an RS1 but with six powered axles instead of four. The generator and electrical equipment are the same as the RS1, hence poor high speed performance. It returned to States in June, 1945.
#8050 was reassigned to the US Air Force at Loring Air Force base near Limestone, ME where it interchanged in and outbound shipments with the Bangor & Aroostook Railroad. It could sometimes be seen in Waterville, ME being serviced by the Maine Central Railroad locomotive shop.
#805 is currently out of service.
The M-2180 was built in August, 1971 by Fairmont Railway Motors, Inc. for the US Army for use at the Ravenna Arsenal. The "A-Car", as it is known to ORHS members, is a model A4-D-1-7 motor car.
It was one of a group of motor cars acquired from the contractor decommissioning the base in the early '80s. After restoration by several members, ORHS acquired the car in 2008 and it has been an integral feature at our trackside events ever since.
The M-2180 also pulls trailers for hauling track tools, supplies, weed spraying equipment and anything else necessary to maintain our track.
Other Fairmont Motor Cars
ORHS has two other A4 motor cars currently in use in maintenence of way or just to quickly get from one end of the line to the other. All are originally from Canadian National, numbers 193-39 and 3700-32. Our plans are to refurbish them so they will also be available for giving rides during our operating events.
This is what we believe to be a '70s vintage MTM200 diesel and hydrostatic drive motorcar built by Modern Track Machinery. Of interest, forward and reverse is controlled by a joystick. A bit of brake and fuel line work has restored the unit to operation. Our track crew is especially appreciative of this motorcar when the weather gets colder as it is our only fully enclosed motorcar that has a heater.
#403 - 250 Ton Self-propelled Diesel Locomotive Crane
#403 was built by Industrial Brownhoist, Construction Number 12064, in August 1952 for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad as number X-216. It was originally based out of New Castle, PA until 1968 when it was reassigned to Willard, OH. The X-216 was renumbered to 940500 in 1982 and retained that number after the formation of CSX in 1989. Art Davis acquired the wrecker after it was retired by CSX in 1992. ORHS assumed ownership after the acquisition of DABO, Inc., Art's company.
If it looks a little familiar, X-216 is the sister to the X-215 at the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum in Baltimore, MD.
#403 is currently under restoration and will be returned to service, eventually as B&O X-216, for demonstration purposes and for our use in the rail yard.
ORHS Caboose #330 was built by the International Car Company of Kenton, Ohio in 1956 for the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railway. It was one of fifty cars ordered and numbered in the #500 series (#500 to #549). In 1966, nine of the cars were leased to sister road Bessemer & Lake Erie Railroad and renumbered from #1981 through #1989. Our #330 was one of these leased cars. Six of the nine B&LE cars survive today although we do not know at this time which car this is.
The car was originally built with propane heat, stove and electrical generator for charging the batteries. It is believed that the B&LE removed the propane system, added a coal stove and a generator driven off one wheel set, thus eliminating a possible explosion hazard in the event of an accident. This system is intact.
The 8008 was built by the Budd Company in 1939 for the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, part of lot 96809. This car was used in ACL's Champion service as a 48 seat diner and was originally named "Baltimore" with no number. It was assigned number 5908 upon the merger with the Seaboard Air Line Railroad to form Seaboard Coast Line. The car was transferred to Amtrak in 1971 and renumbered 8008. ORHS acquired the car from Rails Diversified, Inc. in 1986.
The 8008 is currently not in service and is being evaluated for restoration.
UPDATE: We are currently seeking donations, time and materials to put this car back into service! Click here for more information.
Open Air Passenger Car #501
The previous life of this car was as CSX #940062, a 50' crane boom idler car used in wreck train service. The conversion was completed in the summer of 2021. Thanks to the Wayne County Community Foundation who awarded a grant for this project and to all who donated to this project.
Tool Car #31
Originally, Baltimore & Ohio class E7C heavy weight Baggage/Express #291. Around 1957 or so it was assigned to MoW service as X-4562 at Willard, OH in support of the #X-48 wrecker and later the X-216. CSX renumbered it to #940651 in 1983 or 1984.
CSX 50' Double Door Boxcar #462976
Ex-CSX boxcar #462976 used as our tool and shop car.
50' plug door boxcar, Formerly Chesapeake & Ohio #23545, The car's original number may have been #79850.
50' single door boxcar. Ex-Baltimore & Ohio #466154.
50' Box Car (double door). Ex- Baltimore & Ohio class XML #297067
C&O 50' Double Door/End Door Boxcar #9595
#9595 was built in 1929 for the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway to haul automobiles. It has hinged doors on one end of the car to help facilitate loading.
This car is currently used for materials storage.
NYC 50' Double Door Boxcar
This is an ex-New York Central boxcar and may be an ex-auto parts car. The bolster appears to be marked for NYC 52335 but that may not be correct. The car has been modified with a rollup door in one end for storage.
"Boxcar in the Woods"
40' single door boxcar. This is possibly a Pennsylvania Railroad class X-29 car. The number is unlnown. This car is on the ground without trucks at Hugo Junction and is used for storage.
Idler Car #940063
#940063 is a 50' flat car from CSX. It was originally built for the Chesapeake & Ohio in 1927 as #W-88, a crane boom idler car. This type of car would be used to carry wheelsets, rails, ties, tools, supplies and most anything else needed at derailment sites for rerailing cars as well as providing space for the crane boom in a wreck train consist.
40' Flat Car #081
This flat car of unknown origin may have started out life as a 40', 50T boxcar on the original Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway. We use it to move heavy track materials around the yard.
This was outfitted as a crane boom idler, We don't know its history. It is possibly an ex-Delaware, Lackawanna & Western as evidenced by the initials in the truck castings.